Wednesday, January 24, 2007

In Funk's Corner - Pro-wrestling Heaven

By Dory Funk Jr.

In Funk's Corner - Pro-wrestling Heaven

Last night I dreamed I went to pro-wrestling heaven. And you know who greeted me at the gate? The Founder of Mid Atlantic Wrestling Himself, Jim Crockett Sr.

He said to me, Dory, the Big Boss of the wrestlers up here has asked me to show you around. Now, over there are a few of your old friends.

My, was I glad to see them, Sir Nelson Royal. Jay Youngblood and Dick Murdoch. I shook hands with Mr. Wrestling, Tim Woods and Eddie Gilbert then I said hello to Mr. Perfect, Curt Hennig

Jim Crockett Sr. showed me the Wrestling Wall of Fame with all the golden tights and wrestling shoes on the mantle. Then he said, Dory, step over this way, there are two more of your friends I know you'll want to see, they're waiting for you. There they were standing side by side and smiling at me-- Johnny Valentine and Wahoo McDaniel.

Sitting just to their right talking over coffee were three wrestlers that brought a tear to my eye, Dory Funk Sr., Ricky Romero and their friend in the business, Eddie Graham. At the next table, my first student in professional wrestling, Jumbo Tsuruta. He was sitting next to All Japan Pro-Wrestling's ShaCho, Giant Baba.

I felt a slap on my back from a big hand and turned around to see none other than the Big Long Tall Cowboy, Tex McKinzie. Big Tex grabbed my hand and said, "By Golly, Dory it is good to see you." Over by himself I saw The Sheik. I could feel the burnt skin and roughness in his handshake. I said, "You haven't been throwing fire up here have you? Eddie Farhat just smiled.

I could feel the warmth as an arm draped over my shoulder and a nervous voice said, "Dory, Dad wants to see you." David Von Erich was making sure I didn't leave before speaking to his father, Fritz Von Erich, Kerry, Mike and Chris. They all asked if I would send their love to Kevin and their mom.

Then I asked Mr. Crocket, "who else do you expect in the next, uh, say a hundred years or so? He handed me a large book covered with star dust. Jim Crockett Sr. called it the Big Tally Book. In it were many names and each name was branded in pure gold. I began to read some of them as I turned the pages:

Greg Valentine, Gene Kiniski, Jim Cornette, Jack Brisco, Jimmy Valiant, Johnny Weaver, Buddy Landel, Tommy Gilbert, Tommy Young, Kurt Angle, Harley Race, Dusty Rhodes, Ricky Steamboat, The Rock-n-Roll Express, Tully Blanchard, J.J. Dillon, Jimmy Garvin, Ivan Koloff, The Undertaker, Paul Heyman, Terry Funk, Ric Flair and "Dory Funk Jr."

All of a sudden, my world was shaking, I wanted to stay and I could hear my name being called.

Was it my time? "DORY FUNK JR., DORY FUNK JR."

Hell no it wasn't my time, It was my wife Marti shaking me by the back of my Funking Conservatory T shirt telling me to wake up! "DORY, It is time for the next training session in preparation for our next !BANG! TV Taping, Support the Troops 11, Cold War I"

For more information go to our website at www.dory-funk.com.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home