Saturday, March 10, 2007

BRAD DELP, LEAD SINGER OF BOSTON, DEAD AT 55

By Art Shimko
shimko_7@hotmail.com

We've just lost the nicest guy in rock and roll.
- Boston's website

photo credit: BenDeVries/The Daily Nonpareil,
via Associated Press

-- We are sad to report the death of Brad Delp who was the lead singer for veteran rock group Boston since the 1970's when the band formed. Delp was found on Friday in his Atkinson, N.H. home, foul play has been ruled out and an investigative report on his cause of death will be released on Monday.
Born 1951 in Danvers, MA, Delp's love for the Beatles as a teen lead him to sing in bands and eventually met MIT student and future Boston leader Tom Scholz. Scholz recruited Delp along with other musicians recorded demo tapes which caught the attention of CBS Records and went on to record their 1976 self-titled debut album that sold 17 million copies ranking it the best selling debut in US history.
In a Musician Magazine interview with Scholz in 1986 he said about Delp, “The nice thing about Brad was his incredible ability in the studio. He was a master at controlling his voice — he could do things over and over, changing one note and doing everything else the same. He’s a natural overdubber, he can perfectly match what’s on tape, he can sing harmonies with himself and keep dozens of parts in his mind.”
Delp has a distinct voice that really fit the sound of Boston and provided a blueprint for future rock singers to refer to as how a perfect rock vocalist sounds.
Between Scholz taking a long time writing material for a follow-up to 1978's Don't Look Back and further delay by a lawsuit filed by CBS, Delp went off to record albums with fellow Boston member Barry Goudreau and the group RTZ, Delp returned to the group in 1985 for Third Stage (the follow-up to Don't Look Back) and again left before returning in 1994 for the Walk On tour although he did not sing on that album.
Delp remained with Boston up to their 2002 Corporate America album and tour.
Boston was one of the first rock bands I ever heard thanks to my father and recently we were talking about hearing of a possible Boston tour and how we both hoped to see them live. Well looks like that's not happening, and if Scholz does decide to tour with a new singer it just won't be the same. We here at Strong Style Shimko send condelences to Delp's family and friends. (sources: [CBC News] Boston lead singer dies at 55; [NY Times] Brad Delp, 55, Lead Singer for Boston, Dies; Boston-Wikipedia entry)

-- Eddie Van Halen released a statement on Van Halen's website on Thursday:
I would like Van Halen fans to know how much I truly appreciate each and every one of you. Without you there is no Van Halen.

I have always and will always feel a responsibility to give you my best. At the moment I do not feel that I can give you my best. That’s why I have decided to enter a rehabilitation facility to work on myself, so that in the future I can deliver the 110% that I feel I owe you and want to give you.

Some of the issues surrounding the 2007 Van Halen tour are within my ability to change and some are not. As far as my rehab is concerned, it is within my ability to change and change for the better. I want you to know that is exactly what I’m doing, so that I may continue to give you the very best I am capable of.

I look forward to seeing you in the future better than ever and I thank you with all my heart.

Love,

Ed

So Eddie's headed to rehab meaning this further delays any plans for a supposed reunion tour.

-- Track listing for Rush's upcoming Snakes & Arrows out on 5/1:
01. Far Cry
02. Armor and Sword
03. Workin’ Them Angels
04. The Larger Bowl
05. Spindrift
06. The Main Monkey Business
07. The Way The Wind Blows
08. Hope
09. Faithless
10. Bravest Face
11. Good News First
12. Malignant Narcissism
13. We Hold On

-- Blues Traveler's Popper Arrested In Washington

-- Music Industry Tightens Squeeze On Students

-- Music festival tickets sell out

-- Eminem makes big music deal

-- Has rap music hit a wall?

-- Yahoo! China sued for allegedly helping illegal music downloads

-- John Cage Program Shows Music Forum's Strengths

-- BX. 'SEX' TEACH FACES MUSIC
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note to webmasters/reporters: When recapping news or referencing commentary from this site please include a link to meanfilipine.blogspot.com as opposed to "Strong Style Shimko", "From The Mean Filipine Blog" or derivatives. Thank you!

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home